HARRISBURG, January 28, 2022 – State Senator Katie Muth (D- Berks/Chester/Montgomery), Chair of the Pennsylvania Senate Democratic Policy Committee, today joined Senator John Kane (D-Delaware/Chester) to host a virtual public hearing on the proposed $300 million Anthracite Ridge wind farm project in Schuylkill County.
“Our Commonwealth is already one of the nation’s leaders in the natural gas industry, but Pennsylvania needs to implement clean energy solutions that protect our planet and our communities from further harm caused by global warming,” Muth said. “Today’s hearing was a great opportunity to learn more about the proposed Anthracite Ridge wind farm project and to discuss how renewable energy projects – one of fastest growing job creators in the country – are critical in protecting environmental and public health.”
The virtual policy hearing featured three panels of expert testimony that discussed the scope of the $300 million wind farm project and the unique challenges its development faces with its proximity to Fort Indiantown Gap.
“As we transition towards clean and renewable energy sources, we also need to be focusing on creating good-paying, family sustaining union jobs,” Kane said. “I’m grateful to all the panelists and stakeholders who testified today about this proposed project, and for the opportunity to learn more as we move forward.”
The $300 million, privately funded Anthracite Ridge project is estimated to generate 175 to 220 megawatts of clean, renewable electric power that would be enough to serve 65,000 Pennsylvania households annually. The Pennsylvania National Guard and leadership at the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs have opposed the project due to its proximity to the helicopter flight training area utilized at Fort Indiantown Gap.
Testifiers at today’s hearing included Nick Cohen, President/ Founder of Doral Renewables; Rob Feldman, Land Use Director, Rausch Creek Land; Ed Chupein, Senior Advisor, DARE Strategies; Dave Belote, CEO, DARE Strategies; Brigadier General Laura McHugh, Deputy Adjutant General – Army; Lieutenant Colonel Tim Zerbe, State Army Aviation Officer; Marc Ferraro, Department of Military & Veterans Affairs, Executive Deputy Secretary; David Masur, President, PennEnvironment; and Russ Nahodil, IBEW 607 Business Representative.
All submitted testimony from today’s hearing and the full video is available at SenatorMuth.com/Policy
# # #
Panel 1: Developer & Landowner Rights
- Nick Cohen, President/ Founder of DORAL
- Rob Feldman, Land Use Director, Rausch Creek Land
- Ed Chupein, Senior Advisor, DARE Strategies
- Dave Belote, CEO, DARE Strategies
Panel 2: Military Experts
- Brigadier General Laura McHugh, Deputy Adjutant General – Army
- Lieutenant Colonel Tim Zerbe, State Army Aviation Officer
- Marc Ferraro, Department of Military & Veterans Affairs, Executive Deputy Secretary
Panel 3: Environmental & Labor Impacts
- David Masur, President, PennEnvironment
- Russ Nahodil, IBEW 607 Business Representative
Additional Written Testimony
- Sonja Jahrsdoerfer, Pennsylvania Natural Heritage Program
- Andrew Mack, Conservation Biologist and Ecologist
- Brian M. Wargo, Ph.D., Hawk Migration Association of North America
- Pennsylvania Audubon Council
- Hawk Mountain Sanctuary Association
- Laura L. Jackson, Conservation Chair of Pennsylvania Society for Ornithology
- Helen Masser, Schuylkill County Resident
- Sondra Wolferman – Carbon County Resident
- Tom Kuehl, Former President of the Pennsylvania Society for Ornithology (PSO)
- American Bird Conservancy, Hawk Mountain Sanctuary Association, Hawk Migration Association of North America, Juanita Valley Audubon Society, Lehigh Valley Audubon Society, Pennsylvania Audubon Council, and Save Our Allegheny Ridges
- Schuylkill County Airport Authority